NORMAL, Ill. - Current Redbirds Eric Aguilera, Zac Johnson and Jeremy Rhoades have been selected to all-star teams in their respective summer collegiate baseball leagues. All three received significant playing time for the 2012 Illinois State baseball team that finished 33-19.
Aguilera is currently batting .376/.421/.541 with three home runs, 25 RBI and 19 doubles for the Lakeshore Chinooks of the Northwoods League. The senior outfielder carries a 16-game hitting streak and a 27-game on-base streak into action Wednesday night. He will play for the South Division in the July 24 Northwoods League All-Star Game in Madison, Wis.
Johnson and Rhoades both currently play for the Oneonta Outlaws of the Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League (PGCBL). Johnson entered play Wednesday batting .314/.418/.405 with 19 RBI, five doubles and three triples. Rhoades has made 13 relief appearances, maintaining a 2.70 ERA with two saves. He has struck out 35 batters in 23.1 innings, while allowing only six walks. Johnson will represent Team Ebright, while Rhoades will pitch for Team Griffin, in the July 24 PGCBL All-Star Game in Amsterdam, N.Y.
Illinois State Baseball Players in Collegiate Summer Leagues - Stats Updated as of Wednesday, July 18
(Batters splits are Average/On-base Percentage/Slugging Percentage)
.376/.421/.541, 3 HR, 25 RBI, 19 2B, 27 R, 3-3 SB
0-0, 6.00 ERA, 1 app. (start), 3 IP, 2 K, 6 BB
- Went 2-4 with one double, one walk, one RBI, and two runs scored versus Eau Clair, Sunday, July 15.
- Currently has a 16-game hitting streak and a 27-game on-base streak and leads his team in batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage.
.316/.414/.379, 1 HR, 16 RBI, 3 2B, 27 R, 12-13 SB - Reached base twice and scored two runs Monday, July 16, versus Dubois County.
- Doubled, walked, stole one base and scored two runs Friday, July 13, at Springfield.
.200/.294/.400 1 HR, 2 RBI, 3 R, 1-1 SB
- Clubbed his first home run of the summer, Wednesday, June 6, at Southland.
- Went 2-4 with one walk, one stolen base and one run scored at Illinois Tuesday, June 5.
0-1, 0.81 ERA, 4 app. (three in relief), 11 IP, 14 K, 2 BB
- Allowed one run over five innings, with eight strikeouts and only one walk Friday, July 6, at Illinois.
- Pitched one perfect inning, with one strike out, Sunday, July 1, versus Westmont.
Former Illinois State Baseball Players in the Pros - Stats Updated Wednesday, July 18
0-0, 3.42 ERA, 20 app. (all relief), 26.1 IP, 22 K, 11 BB
- Worked one perfect inning with one strike out Tuesday, July 17, at Tampa Bay.
- Allowed one run over two relief innings Saturday, July 14, at Toronto.
1-1, 6.14 ERA, 12 app. (all relief), 14.2 IP, 2 SV, 15 K, 9 BB
- Earned his first victory of the season, working 1.2 scoreless innings Tuesday, July 17, at Nashville.
- Did not pitch in 2010 or 2011 and last pitched in Major League Baseball for the 2009 Chicago Cubs.
Has not pitched (60-day disabled list)
- Last year went 4-4, 4.94 ERA, 19 app. (11 starts), 82 IP, 82K, 15 BB for the Quad Cities River Bandits, the Midwest League A-affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals.
- Has begun throwing bullpen sessions and is slated to return from the disabled list later this month.
.251/.304/.320, 1 HR, 21 RBI, 10 2B, 1 3B, 33 R, 2-2 SB
- Capped a 12-game hitting streak, going 1-3 with one RBI Saturday, July 14, at Clinton.
- Had two hits, one RBI and one run scored Thursday, July 12, at Kane County.
0-0, 2.00 ERA, 11 app. (all relief), 9.0 IP, 14 K, 4 BB - Pitched one perfect inning, with one strike out, July 17, versus Lowell.
- Has worked 8.0 scoreless innings, with 13 strike outs, since his professional debut, June 19.